In the world of hydrating skincare ingredients, you’ve most likely heard of hyaluronic acid and squalane. But there’s another unsung hydrating hero: Vegetable Glycerin. You might already be using it in your skincare…but you might not know much about it. Vegetable glycerin works to hydrate the outer layer of the skin, improving skin barrier function and accelerate healing, all without irritation.
Keep reading for the lowdown on what it is and why you should make it a part of your skincare ritual.
What is vegetable glycerin?
The third most common ingredient in skincare products, vegetable glycerin is a clear, odourless humectant naturally derived from plant oils. Like hyaluronic acid, plant glycerin helps to draw water into the skin and keep it there, like a moisture magnet — a must when treating dry or dehydrated skin. Glycerin is like a sponge that pulls water to the outermost skin layer, attracting water from the skins deeper layers and preventing the water in your skin from evaporating. Since glycerin attracts water to itself, using it will leave you skin more dewy, hydrated and smooth. In short, it’s one of the most hydrating skincare ingredients out there.
The benefits of vegetable glycerin for your skin.
1. Hydrating. Being a humectant, moisture is the name of the game. Not only does it keep the skin ultra hydrated, but it also helps to protect and strengthen the skin barrier, keeping it healthy. Despite being an intense hydrator, vegetable glycerin is very lightweight, non-greasy and non-comedogenic, so it won’t clog pores either.
2. Supports a healthy skin barrier. Helps to improve the function of the skin barrier, protecting against environmental stressors.
3. Soothes skin irritations. Helps skin retain moisture without stripping the skin of its natural oils. It’s oil regulating abilities make it great for oily skin. Gentle and safe for even sensitive skin types. Helping to soothe skin irritations, reduce redness, protect against infection, irritants and microbes to promote healing. No matter your skin type (oil, acne-prone or sensitive), vegetable glycerin will do wonders for you.
4. Reduces the appearance of wrinkles. By attracting and holding moisture into the skin, it helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Leaving you with smoother looking skin and improved elasticity — especially great for aging, dry or cracked skin.
5. Treats acne and scarring. Works to keep the skin free of acne-causing bacteria. Due to its ability to encourage normal skin cell maturation, facilitating healing when applied to acne and blemishes and working to remove dead skin cells, revealing newer, smoother skin.
How do I use it in my skincare routine?
Combining glycerin with an emollient and/or occlusive is key to reaping the hydrating benefits. Humectants work best when applied first to clean, damp skin (ie. after cleansing). After applying the glycerin rich product, lock it in with a rich, occlusive product — like a skin nourishing facial oil, to keep your skin plump, healthy and hydrated.
Stay tuned for this skincare BFF to make an appearance in our new product launching later this month…