'Tis the season for self-care! Between shopping for loved ones and holiday gatherings, it’s important to you make sure to give yourself some much-needed TLC. Remember, you can’t pour from an empty cup, so make sure to rest and take care of yourself during this busy season!
Keep reading for some easy ways to practice self-care and recharge during the holidays...
- Set realistic expectations and let go - Release the idea that your experiences and holiday needs to look a certain way. Perfection doesn’t exist. So let go, be present and enjoy the moment — whatever it might look like.
- Make space for your feelings - The holidays can be difficult. If you’re feeling sad or down, take a step back and think about what is making you upset. Lean into your feelings and talk to someone close to you.
- Meditate - Meditation is a great tool to help you stay present and self aware. Even a 5 minute meditation can help you keep calm and centre yourself during the holiday busyness. Take a moment to concentrate on slow, deep breathing and try to disengage from distracting thoughts. Take a deep breath. Inhale, exhale, repeat.
- Create your own holiday traditions - Cozy up in front of a fire with a blanket and a good book. DIY orange garland, or make your own wreaths. Bake something yummy and comforting. Whatever it might be, do anything that feels fun and joyful to you!
- Practice gratitude - Did you know that even asking yourself “what am I grateful for?” can increase dopamine and serotonin levels in the brain? Practicing gratitude can be simple. Write down a few things you’re happy and grateful for each day.
- Say no without feeling guilty - Your energy is your currency, so spend it wisely! It can be easy to stretch ourselves too thin over the holidays — saying yes to all the things and not wanting to disappoint anyone. Say yes to what or who is important to you and say no to anything that feels too stressful or draining.
- Carve out time for self-care & pamper yourself - Whether that’s a bubble bath, a face mask or moving through a slow, mindful skincare ritual. Indulge in self-care daily, even if it’s just for a few minutes!
- Morning routine / evening routine - Stick to your morning + evening routines, even if your routine is only 5 minutes. Every day, make a little time for yourself first thing in the morning and last thing before bed. Move with intention — sit quietly with a cup of coffee, meditate, journal or do what feeds your soul.
- Be active - Fitting in a little movement into each day can really help to relieve stress and anxiety. Plus, it’ll boost your energy too.
- Sleep / nap - Get your beauty rest! Adequate sleep is crucial for us to feel our best. The last thing we need is extra stress and irritability. Plus, getting a good night’s rest also keeps our immune systems strong. Aim for at least 7-8 hours a night.
- Stay hydrated - I feel like the busier we are, the easier it is to forget to hydrate! If you have trouble remembering to drink enough water, set timers. Not only does staying hydrated keep your skin glowing, but it also boosts energy and flushes toxins.
- Take a walk - Bundle up and get some fresh air! Going for a walk can help to clear your mind. Look around while you're out and appreciate the little things around you.
- Laugh - Surround yourself with the people that make you the happiest and laugh as much as you can. If you’re not able to be close to your favourite people right now, call our FaceTime them. Instant mood booster.
- Breathe - Close your eyes and take a long, deep breath. Feeling overwhelmed? Breathe in. Breathe out. Feeling tired? Breathe in and breathe out. Trust me, it’ll help.