Skincare products can do wonders for your skin! On the surface they can nourish, calm, tighten, brighten and even boost your skin confidence. But when you add intention to the process, skincare can do so much more.
How does your skincare routine make you feel? Cleansing, exfoliating, masking and using facial oils are an important part of your skincare but if you’re not enjoying the process or feel like you’re rushing through just to get it done, it can be just become another overwhelming thing you feel like you need to tick off your to-do list. Turning a routine into a ritual can be done by simply adding intention to the process, a sense of mindfulness and purpose when applying your products.
Doing this will bring your skincare to the next level — creating a calming self-care ritual, being in the moment and getting in touch with yourself through intention.
Here are a few ways you can create a skincare ritual that works for you:
1. Treat this time as self-care and your personal ritual. A chance to take some “me” time. Savour a few quiet moments to yourself at the start and end of your day to nurture yourself and your skin.
2. Create ambiance. Light a candle, turn on some relaxing music, diffuse some aromatic essential oils.
3. Savour the solitude. Your skincare ritual should allow you to calm your mind and body. Carving out this time to do something that is just for you.
4. Breathe. Take a few breaths in and out. Slow down and take your time before applying each product. If using facial oils, add a few drops to your palms and rub slowing between your hands to warm up the product, close your eyes and breathe in the scent. Then mindfully and slowly apply to your face, neck and chest.
5. Gua Sha is a great way to bring more intention to your skincare ritual. In traditional Chinese Medicine, our Qi can become stagnant as a result of suppressed emotions. Without the proper circulation and movement of fluids, stagnant Qi can show in our skin. It may show up as deeper wrinkles, discoloration or redness, and puffiness. The ancient Chinese ritual of Gua Sea can help us loosen stuck emotions by stimulating the movement of fluids. Clearing away stagnant physical toxins can help clear away the emotional ones. This is a way we can work towards achieving harmony in our body and in our skin. Moving with intention, in slow upward motions across will not only release tension you might be holding in your body but also allow you to relax. Incorporating the Gua Sha into your daily skincare ritual will leave your skin more toned, relaxed and youthful.
6. Let go of negative self-talk. Make it part of your daily ritual to practice giving yourself positive skin affirmations. The goal is healthy skin, not perfect skin. Texture, blemishes, dark spots, wrinkles…it’s all normal. Your real skin is what makes you unique and beautiful. Look in the mirror and tell yourself a few positive skin affirmations every day.