A major factor of healthy skin, is a glowing complexion. But how do you achieve a natural glow? Product, practice and patience.
Here are my top 10 tips for achieving a natural, radiant glow:
1. Exfoliate your skin. Exfoliating 2-3 times a week is key to maintaining a healthy glow. After cleansing, use a gentle exfoliant (our clay masks are ideal for this — especially if you have sensitive skin) to even out the skin's surface and remove dead skin cells that dull your complexion.
2. Hydrate and protect. Your skin is at its driest in the morning, which can damage your skin barrier if you don't use the right products to rehydrate. It's important to use antioxidant-rich ingredients to fight free radicals and protect against environmental damages. Our Hydrate Facial Oil is a lightweight blend that absorbs quickly into the skin, keeping it hydrated for longer. Acting as an occlusive barrier, which forms a protective layer on the skin's surface to lock in moisture, as well as preventing dirt, toxins and other pollutants from entering the skin; preventing fine lines, wrinkles and acne. Read more about why antioxidant rich products are so important for your skin, here.
3. Use skin brightening ingredients. Using non-toxic skin brightening ingredients daily can give you a glowing, illuminated complexion. Here are our favourite skin brightening, active ingredients:
Vitamin C - Necessary for the growth and repair of tissue and the formation of collagen, as well as an antioxidant that brightens skin by blocking an enzyme that produces pigment. Baobab and Maracuja (Passion Fruit) oil are both naturally high in Vitamin C, which can be found in our Hydrate oil.
Organic Baobab Oil: Baobab fruit has been nicknamed the "superfruit" due to its naturally occurring levels of omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants and vitamin C to boost collagen production. Omega 3 & 9 lessen inflammation and heal skin. In short, essential fatty acids help your complexion glow.
Maracuja / Passion Fruit Seed Oil: Naturally high in antioxidants, vitamin C as well as linoleic and oleic essential fatty acids; maracuja repairs damage, preserves collagen and elastin to tighten and smooth skin. Special enzymes in maracuja help dissolve excess sebum and impurities to balance oil production and is especially effective at soothing dry skin, providing nourishment and hydration without clogging pores. Check out our blog post on why we love maracuja in skincare.
Niacinamide (Vitamin B3) - One of the main active ingredients in our Resurface Retinol Alternative Serum. Niacinamide is one of the most versatile ingredient as it benefits and works well with all skin types, including sensitive skin. This skin-strengthening ingredient has anti-aging, anti-inflammatory and anti-acne benefits and works to help uneven skin tone and hyperpigmentation. Supports and strengthens the skin barrier; protecting against environmental damages and boosts barrier function by increasing ceramide production (fatty acids that make up 50% of your upper layer of skin and promote cellular function, retain + lock in moisture and help prevent dryness and irritation). Ceramides are critical for an effective skin barrier and luckily niacinamide increases the production of them. Also helps to balance oil production, keep skin firm, minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and improves textures by making pores appear smaller. Works in tandem with other skincare products to boost the effectiveness of other active ingredients. Read our blog post on why you need Niacinamide in your skincare.
Bakuchiol / Retinol Alternatives - A plant-derived natural alternative to vitamin A. It stimulates the production of collagen, reducing fine lines and wrinkles. (Hero ingredient in Resurface).
4. Hydrate your skin daily. Consistency is key. Moisturizing your skin daily is an important part of achieving that radiant glow. A lack of hydration in your skin will lead to a dull complexion and a compromised skin barrier, which can lead to irritation, flakiness and wrinkles. Using products with antioxidant-rich ingredients in the AM to help protect your skin barrier and lock in moisture. In the PM, use products that help to accelerate the skin's repair functions and encourage cell renewal, with nourishing, fatty acid rich ingredients to deeply hydrate while you sleep. We recommend Hydrate in the morning and Restore & Resurface in the evening.
5. Give yourself a face massage. Not only is a massage great for relaxing your muscles but it can help your products absorb better. Even a quick 1-2 minute facial massage can stimulate blood flow, depuff and boost circulation for an illuminated complexion.
6. Use a face mask. When in doubt, face mask! For instant skin-glowing benefits, use a hydrating face mask, which can up your skins moisture levels in minutes. If your skin is feeling congested, use a clay based mask to remove impurities and tighten skin. Leaving you with a plump and clear complexion. Follow with your serum and restorative facial oil to lock in that moisture for longer.
7. Gua Sha. A traditional Chinese technique used to remove stagnant toxin build-up in the body. This practice has been used for thousands of years. Facial Gua Sha is great to incorporate into your skincare ritual to unwind and as a form of self-care but also for the amazing skin benefits. Awakening the lymphatic system, Gua Sha is great for depuffing, tightening and increasing blood circulation, which boosts collagen production, giving your skin an immediate lift and glow. Also reducing fine lines, wrinkles, tension, hyperpigmentation, improving skin texture and leaving your face looking more sculpted over time. (Important tip: always use a face oil to lubricate your skin so you're not tugging and pulling on your face!) Here is a great Beginners Guide to Gua Sha video, if you're new to this practice.
8. Hydrate from the inside out. This one should be the easiest on the list but sometimes we forget to drink enough water! Water helps to clear toxins that cause inflammation and blemishes and also prevents dehydration, which causes premature aging. Two litres a day will give you healthy, glowing skin from the inside out. Add a couple lemon slices for added skin glowing benefits and a little citrus-y flavour.
9. Use SPF daily. Did you know that 90% of wrinkles are from sun exposure? It might sound repetitive, but SPF always! Using sunscreen daily (even on rainy days) is the most effective way to prolong healthy, glowing skin. Lather up!
10. Apply your skincare in the right order. This is SO important! To get the full benefits out of your skincare products, it's crucial that you apply them in the correct order. The golden rule: always apply from thinnest to thickest. To make it easier to remember, we wrote a blog post to help you navigate which products to use and in what order. Read it here.
And make sure you're patient with your products! We all want instant results but allowing your skin to naturally turn over (which takes about 28 days) and for active ingredients to take effect; give your products about 6 months to see long-term benefits and improvements in your skin!
Back to Blog